Indian medical degrees and their recognition in Europe

The answer is practical No. The Indian medical degree may be qualified to sit for the licencing examination of countries like USA/UK/Australia but it does not automatically confer the right to practice. This is the hard fact which I realized even after acquiring a specialist medical degree from a premier medical institute of India (CMC Vellore).

Indian trained doctors are well known for their clinical acumen and competence. Their training is on par with many foreign medical degrees. Still, the basic and advanced medical degree from India does not carry much weight or do not qualify automatically in developed countries. Even in Gulf, nowadays they prefer doctors who are trained from western countries like from Canada, US, UK and Australia. A doctor is at the higher position in Gulf countries if he/she has passed MRCP from UK or MD from the USA then an MD from India. On the other side, the medical degree from EU states (European Union) doesn’t require any qualifying exams to be passed in the UK. A medical degree from Canada/USA is an automatic qualification to practice in UK and Australia.

In short no foreign countries (except African and some Asian countries) accept Indian degrees.

What is more baffling is that some of the Basic medical degrees from Pakistan/Bangladesh/Sri-Lanka are recognised in Ireland as an automatic qualification to work as a doctor, while no Indian degree is qualified for such purpose in UK/Ireland. A degree from any of foreign countries like the USA. UK, Canada and Australia are highly recognised and preferred than a degree from an Indian medical college if you want to practice and work in medicine at foreign shores.

Edit: Thank you very much for the views and upvotes. In fact, I had written the answer very casually before 3 years on Quora and never realised that it will garner so much interest. However, there are some additional points (some positive points about MBBS degree!) which I want to mention. Singapore medical council directly recognizes a basic medical degree from one of the 4-5 Indian medical colleges viz. AIIMS, CMC Vellore, JIPMER, PGI Chandigarh. Please check the website of Singapore medical council for further details. However, only the MBBS degree from these medical colleges is recognized to work at registrar level and no post-graduate degrees are recognized from any medical colleges in India. So, if one has done the post-graduate degree from these 4-5 medical colleges but MBBS is done from elsewhere, he will not be eligible to work in Singapore directly. (Like in my case, I have done only cardiology specialist degree – DM Cardiology from CMC Vellore and MBBS/MD from elsewhere – so I am not recognized directly to work in Singapore). Having said that, any medical qualifications from the premier medical colleges like AIIMS Delhi, JIPMER Pondicherry, PGI Chandigarh, CMC Vellore will definitely have some weight in your CV as these colleges are known for their renowned medical training program in India.

In the end, while a basic medical degree (MBBS) from most of the medical colleges in India is eligible for licensing examination in developed countries, an automatic recognition of Indian basic and post-graduate medical to work in developed countries is not possible. (with some exception like in Singapore

the UK?
UK graduates are among the most employable in the world (QS Graduate Employability Rankings). In fact –

83% of international graduates credit their UK degree for helping them get a job (International Graduate Outcomes, UUKI)
The QS Global Employer Survey consistently shows that UK degrees are highly valued and recognised worldwide, with UK universities topping the QS Employer Reputation Ranking
So, by gaining a prestigious UK education, you’ll be respected by employers and academics from all over the world.

The UK government’s ‘Graduate Route’ scheme launched in 2020-21 allows a two-year post-study work visa to international graduates at the UK universities, expanding opportunities for talented international students to build successful careers in the UK.

After graduation from a UK university, Indian graduates in any area of study can remain in the UK for two years to find employment at any skill level
The UK also allows graduates with a business idea to set up their businesses in the UK via the Graduate Entrepreneur Visa (Tier 1). There are 2000 places available for this
It is worth noting that a majority of Indian students who have studied from UK universities are satisfied in their careers and happy because of the UK degree. 60% of the Indian respondents who have participated in the survey for iGO report and studied from UK universities said that they were in their current jobs because it was exactly type of work they wanted to do (Source: Indian Graduate Outcomes Report, UUKi).

You may also check out the Study UK website for more details and queries.

most pakistani doctors go to various US states and Ireland…others get professional qualifications from UK and should write to or contact any doctors who have gotten professional qualifications from overseas…if you have classmates overseas they are usually a great help…going to a country that uses English is an obvious choice…going overseas to practice is difficult unless you have their qualifications…most doctors try to get residencies for which you need good academic qualifications and some pakistani experience…however pakistanis doctors are very hardworking and most who go overseas become specialists and get jobs…if you study the USA pakistani doctors are all over the place…however nowadays getting pakistani professional qualifications is important and you should work in a good hospital and at least have worked as a resident…pakistani doctors have just one aim to get pakistani professional qualifications and at least one foreign one and they are made for life…some are easier say community health…do the pakistani masters and get admitted to some USA university who almost have community health masters degrees…there are also various specialities that you can train in pakistan…than it is easier to go abroad

Europe isn’t one country. Each one may have different criteria. If you are an EU citizen and train in an EU. Country you practice anywhere in the EU. So if you want to work in a Europe, you’ll have to look up each countries needs to get a license.Most with involve doing a residency and exams. Which European languages do you speak fluently? I suspect all will want proof of your ability to converse in the local language. If you are interested in the UK then go to the GMC web page and check out their requirements. Part of those will be that you can show documented proof of so many hours of CME per year. They also will want proof of all the clinical rotations that you did during residency.

It may help if you have done research and published papers plus received funding for your research. If the research is in an up and coming area and considered ground breaking you

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: