￼ ￼ ￼ ￼ ￼ ￼ ￼ ￼ ￼ ￼ ￼ ￼ ￼ ￼ ￼ ￼ ￼ ￼
Dr.V K Rao
Life begins at 60
NOT Re-tire but it is Re-Live
• Life can begin at 60, it is all in your hands! Many people feel unhappy, health-wise and security-wise, after 60 years of age, owing to the diminishing importance given to them and their opinions. But, it need not be so, if only we understand the basic principles of life and follow them scrupulously.
• Here are some mantras to age gracefully and make life pleasant after retirement .
￼ ￼ ￼
NEVER SAY I am Old/Aged
• There are three ages in everybody’s Life.
• Biological: calculated based on your date of
birth. We don’t have a control on this.
• Chronological: determined by health
condition. You can take care of your health with good diet, exercise, a cheerful attitude and activity filled vocations
• Psychological: depends on how old you feel. A positive thinking, active life and optimistic attitude can reverse the psychological age.
￼ ￼ ￼
Your health is top priority
If you really love your kith and kin, taking care of your health should be your priority
so that you are not a burden to them. Try to become a joyful company to them ü Have an annual health check-up and
take the prescribed medicines
ü Do take health insurance coverage
￼ ￼ ￼
￼ ￼ ￼
ü Money is essential for meeting the basic necessities of life, keeping good health and earning family respect and security.
ü Don’t spend beyond your means even for your children. You have lived for them all through and it is time you enjoyed a harmonious life with your spouse.
ü If your children are grateful and they take care of you, you are blessed.
ü But, never take it for granted & presume that they are bound.
ü Neither are you an ATM for them, Nor are they MFs/FDRs for you!
ü Circumstances and situations can change and so can children
attitude and their own compulsions towards you.
￼ ￼ ￼
• Everybody Loves their children
• But just as there is a thin line between Need and Greed, so there is
a thin line between Vatsalya and Vyamoha
• Greed and Vyamoha will lead ultimately lead to Dukha
• Adopt compromise, detachment and try to be friendly with children.
• Never argue with them on any topic—social, political or religious
• Because you may WIN the argument BUT may loose relationship and Cordiality
• It is not worth it at this stage!!!,
• Remember that at this stage you require them more than they
require you – EMOTIONALLY if not financially!!
• Thus , Adopt Detached attachment towards your children and shun
• Just retain Vatsalya (affection) and enjoy the lee years of Life.
￼ ￼ ￼
Time left is precious
• It is almost like holding a horses’ reins. When they are in your hands, you can control them. Imagine that everyday you are born again.
• Yesterday is a cancelled cheque. Tomorrow is a promissory note. Today is ready cash – use it profitably. Live this moment; live it fully, now, in the present.
• Yesterday is history, tomorrow is Mystery and Today is TRUTH what is present is in your hands
• Don’t harp on yesterday achievements nor predict future course.
• The changed circumstances are the real TRUTH, Live with it and channelise your thoughts accordingly.
The FIVE Treasures of Old Age
Companion Attitude Attachment
Keep your body healthy and fit to avoid physical dependence.
Manage your funds judiciously to last longer.
One of you will leave first, so give all your love and affection.
Have a positive attitude to change for your own mental and emotional health.
Practice detached attachment.
￼ ￼ ￼ ￼ ￼ ￼ ￼ ￼
￼ ￼ ￼ ￼
Join the Dance
• Change is the only permanent thing: We should accept change – it is inevitable.
• Because of generation change, things have moved to different level – technologically, in lifestyle and thought process wise.
• The only way to make sense out of change is to join the dance.
• Change has brought about many pleasant things. Just accept them and enjoy.
• We should be happy that our children are blessed.
￼ ￼ ￼ ￼
Be Enlightened Selfish
• All of us are basically selfish. Whatever we do, we expect something in return.
• While we should definitely be grateful to those who stood by us; our focus should be on the internal satisfaction and the happiness we derive by doing good for others, without expecting anything in return.
• Perform a random act of kindness daily.
• Do some voluntary service and share your
experiences for the good of others with no expectations
￼ ￼ ￼ ￼
Forgive & Forget
• Don’t be bothered too much about others’ mistakes. We are not spiritual enough to show our other cheek when we are slapped in one.
• But for the sake of our own health and happiness, let us forgive and forget them.
• Harping or recollecting the bad experiences will only increase our blood pressure and make us loose our inner happiness.
￼ ￼ ￼ ￼
Make a WILL
• Make a WILL and never share it with any body including your children.
• You may discuss with your spouse, if you have confidence that the contents are not revealed by your spouse to your children before you go.
• Property /money are the culprits to spoil the relationships.
• Let that be decided by those who are concerned after you go.
• But before, let it remain a suspense and surprise –as that alone
ensures your happiness and enjoy their company.
• It is preferred to register the WILL but that involves re-registering
every time you intend to make changes in it .
• Keep the will in a safe Locker with a provision to access with
password by your spouse.
￼ ￼ ￼ ￼
Overcome the fear of Death
• Above all, We all know that one day we have to leave this world. Still we are afraid of death.
• We think that our spouse and children will be unable to withstand our loss.
• But the truth is that life goes on
• They will be depressed & grieve you for some
time but time heals everything and they will
• No body is indispensible in the Law of
Nature. We all know about it but do not want to accept it