Today is “World ORS Day” & is celebrated every year on 29th July to highlight the importance of Oral Rehydration Salts (ORS) as a cost-effective method of health intervention. Acute diarrhoeal diseases are one of the leading causes of mortality in infants and young children as a result of diarrhoea-related dehydration. Dehydration from diarrhoea can be prevented by giving extra fluids at home, or it can be treated simply and effectively by giving adequate (ORS) solution.ORS is available in the market in a powder form in sachets/ readymade solutions or one can also easily make it at home as well.
All we need to know:
How to make the ORS drink which is available in powder form?
1. Put the contents of the ORS packet in a clean container. Check the packet for directions and add the amount of clean water as indicated. Too little water could make the diarrhoea worse.
2. Add water only. Do not add ORS to milk, soup, fruit juice or any soft drinks. Do not add sugar.
3. Stir well, and feed it to the child from a clean cup. Do not use a bottle.
How do I prepare an ORS solution at home?
If ORS packets are not available, you can prepare it at home as well.
• Clean Water – 1 litre – 5 cupful (each cup about 200 ml.)
• Sugar – Six level teaspoons (1 teaspoon = 5grams)
• Salt – Half level teaspoon
• Stir the mixture till the sugar dissolves
The home-made solution is adequate in most cases and is very effective for rehydration. Be very careful to mix the correct amounts. Too much sugar can make the diarrhoea worse and too much salt can be extremely harmful to the child.