￼ ￼ ￼
￼ ￼ ￼ ￼ ￼ ￼ ￼ ￼
Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (Divyangjan) Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
Government of India
What is mental health rehabilitation ?
• Mental Health Rehabilitation promotes
• Problem identification; and not being in a state of
• Building Community resilience • Family Counselling
This is done through
￼ ￼ ￼ ￼ ￼ ￼ ￼ ￼ ￼ ￼
Counselin g & Diagnosin g the Problem
Developing awareness about Mental HealthCare
Externalisingth e problem
Reconnecting with oneself
Promoting independenc e and autonomy
Providin g access to resource s
W.H.O HEALTH REPORT (2019)
• Out of every four persons, one person will have some mental problem at a given point of time, in their lives.
• Currently 450 million persons are suffering .
• Mental illness is among the leading causes of disability and ill- health in the World.
NIMHANS MENTAL HEALTH SURVEY 2015-16
• Prevalence amongst Adults- 10.6% and Adolescents – 7.3%.
• Greater prevalence amongst persons living in Urban Metros.
• Persons with low incomes also susceptible .
• Treatment Gap ranges from 70% to 92%.
Need For Helpline ‘Kiran’
• Limited number qualified professionals in Mental Health.
• Acute shortage of Clinical Psychologists, Rehabilitation Psychologists, Psychiatrists, Psychiatric Social Worker and Psychiatric Nurses.
• Absence of Universal dedicated helpline in respect of rehabilitation services for mental illness, to provide 1st stage counselling and advice.
• Adequate availability of Telecom/ Internet services facilitates provision of mental health services.
• ‘KIRAN’ will empathetically address the mental health issues of PwDs in particular, and the common population in general.
• Assist callers with identification and acceptance of the problem; provide 1st Stage Counselling, follow up Counselling and referrals as the case may be.
• Keep the callers identity confidential.
The Three Pillars
Telecommun ication infrastructur e requirement; Robust connectivity
Human resource managemen t;
Soft Skills and empathy
Publicity regarding the helpline; Expanding outreach
Mental Health Rehabilitation Helpline
• Toll Free
• Operational 24 hours a day, seven days a week
• Technical Coordinator- BSNL
• Available in 13 languages
• 25 Institutions including 8 National Institutes involved
• Backed by 660 Clinical / Rehabilitation Psychologists and 668 Psychiatrists.
• Wide Publicity through audio, video and social media
• • • • • • • •
Objectives of ‘KIRAN’
First stage of counselling; follow ups; Psychological support;
Promoting positive perspective; Psychological crisis management; Referral to mental health experts; Mental well-being.
• Assamese • Bengali
• Marathi • Odia
• Punjabi • Telugu • Tamil
National Institutes (NIs)
Regional Centers (RC)
(i) NIMHR, Sehore
(i) NIEPID, RC-Noida
(ii) PDU-NIPPD, Delhi
(iii) NIEPMD, Chennai
(ii) NIEPID, RC-Navi Mumbai
(iv) NIEPID, Secunderabad
(v) NIEPVD, Dehradun
(iii) NIEPID, RC-Kolkata
(vi) AYJ-NISHD, Mumbai
(vii) SV-NIRTAR, Cuttack
(viii) NILD, Kolkata
Composite Regional Centers (CRC)
(ix) CRC-A&N Islands
Mechanism of Support
PUBLICITY REGARDING THE HELPLINE
Publicity to be given in Print, Audio/Visual and Social Media.
Printed advertisements in newspapers, weeklies, etc
Radio Jingles and Videos prepared
Promotion through Social Media like Whatsapp, Facebook.
Helpline no. will be flashed prominently on the website of the Department, NIs, CRCs, departmental PSUs, etc.
Collaborating Departments, Institutions and Associations
Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD)
National Institute of Mental Health Rehabilitation (NIMHR)
National Institute for Empowerment of Persons with Multiple Disabilities (NIEPMD)
Other 6 National Institutes
14 Composite Regional Centres (CRCs)
Regional Centres – NIEPID
Indian Association of Clinical Psychologists (IACP)
Indian Psychiatric Association (IPA)
Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL)
Inauguration of ‘Kiran’ (7.9.2020)
Helpline 05 Providers
Launching 24X7 Mental
Health Rehabilitation 02 Helpline
￼ ￼ ￼ ￼ ￼ ￼
Resource Book (Bilingual).
Dr. Prabodh Seth
Joint Secretary, DEPwD
Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment Govt. of India